Our Lady of the Greenwood School
September 27, 2023
• Three Things Thursday is Thursday, September 28th. Students may come to school out of uniform this day (while adhering to the guidelines in the school handbook) in exchange for donations of new socks of any size to the Catholic Charities’ Christmas Store. If students are unable to bring in socks, they may bring a monetary donation. This ministry serves families at Christmas and we are blessed to be able to help.
• Rosary Walk – Mrs. Samuelson, our fabulous Middle School Religion Teacher, will put up the Rosary Walk again this year from Monday, Oct. 2 until Thursday Oct. 5 after school. This is the week that leads up to our parish feast day – Our Lady of the Greenwood Queen of the Holy Rosary. Students will be participating in their classes during the day. Families are invited to come on their own and pray on any of those evenings. All are invited! The Rosary Walk begins in front of the old chapel and continues around the school, around the convent, and ends almost where it begins.
• Warm Weather Uniform Policy Ends after Fall Break – Beginning Monday, October 16th, shorts are no longer to be worn to school. Students may wear navy blue uniform pants (or khaki for 8th grade only) or the uniform jumper, skirt, or skorts. Skinny pants are not acceptable as uniform pants. Please refer to the school handbook for additional information on uniforms.
• Cookie Dough! 6th and 7th graders are selling cookie dough to raise funds for their trip to Washington, DC next fall. Sales begin September 18 and end October 4. Look for your favorite 6th or 7th grade student to place an order. Thank you for your support!!
• Friday, October 6th – First Quarter Ends.
• Friday, October 6th – Fall Break begins at 3:00pm.
• Monday, October 16th – Classes resume.
• Friday, October 16th – Warm Weather Uniform Policy ends…no more shorts.
• Wednesday, October 18th – Picture Retakes.
• ColorWalk is NEXT WEEK (10/6/23) Click here Color Walk Permission Slip & Pledges for more information! Also, Permission Slips are needed to document parental awareness for the event. Pledges are NOT required to participate in the race, however, they will help our 8th graders give a great gift back to the school!
To help host the Color Walk, please sign-up here! Duties include Set Up (Noon) and Chaperones (1:00 -3:00). Color Walk Sign-Up Genius
• Spirit Wear – We still have spiritwear shirts in the School Office for purchase. Email the office to see if we still have one in your size.
• CROSS COUNTRY: A HUGE shout out to all our Runners: Evan Oslos, Eli Simon, Jessica Deer, Gracie Wentzel, Maddie Knight, Vincent Brana, Evelynn Vermillion, Dexter Schoettle, Madison Dehnart, Elora Brana! COME WATCH them at a meet THIS SATURDAY at 9:30am at Freedom Springs! Run hard Ladies and Gentlemen!
• VOLLEYBALL: Good luck to our girls’ teams starting games soon! Move to that ball ladies! Order NOW – Store closes THIS FRIDAY (09/29/23), Shirts will be ready on 10/13/23. No time to waste! Click HERE: Volleyball Spirit Shirt
• Boys’ Basketball (4th – 8th) – CHANGED DATE: You MUST be registered and PAID by THIS FRIDAY (09/29/23). If you need help PLEASE ask email@example.com! There is NO guarantee that there will be room for unregistered players (even if at evals). REGISTER NOW!
• WE ARE OPENING UP Basketball for 2nd Grade BOYS! Register NOW to make 2nd AND 3rd grade basketball teams (BOYS). No fee is required until teams are registered but sign-up NOW to hold your spot – www.cyoarchindy.org! (Hosted by Holy Name). We will set a date AFTER fall break to coordinate players and coaches.
• Register / Spread the Word: HIGH SCHOOL Basketball players (CYO Teams) should be registering now!!!! CLOSES 10/06/23. You need a coach over 21 years old on the bench and at all practices. Register here – www.cyoarchindy.org.
• CHESS – We have started an OLG Chess team (possible CYO competitions)! 5-8th grade boys and girls are invited to meet in Mr Shadiow’s class on Thursdays from 3-4!
• Click here on how to get started with the RaiseRight app. Visit https://www.raiseright.com/enroll and use enrollment code: 5LFDEF776L766.
• Need help getting started? Contact RaiseRight coordinator Eric Moster at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-432-7521
• Enrollment 5LFDEF776L766
• Holywins – Please join us at Holywins! Come as your favorite Saint. Saturday, Oct. 28 after 5:30 p.m. Mass, Parish Life Center (Gymnasium). Costume contest for grades Pre-K to 5! Food, music, games, and prizes. Halloween has some Christian roots we can lean on and celebrate. Started by young French Catholics, Holywins focuses on the feast’s deepest meaning. “Holywins,” means “sanctity wins.” It offers the chance for Catholics to really focus on the original meaning, honor the saints, and look to the joy of eternal life. For more information, contact Alan Inkenbrandt, email@example.com, Knights of Columbus Council #6138 or Gloria & Gabriel Gonzalez at 317-679-0591.
• Nativity Sets – The Knights of Columbus are once again this year offering outdoor Nativity sets for sale. Orders due October 6th.
- $110.00 per kit. Four piece silhouette style display is made from all-weather white plastic board that never needs painting. Assembles easily using only a Phillips head screwdriver. Reminds our children of the importance of the Holy Family in the Christmas season. All hardware, yard stakes and instructions are included. Measures 48″ tall to top of star x 50″ wide. • Proceeds will be donated to Our Lady of the Greenwood School. • Order from K of C, make check payable to K of C Council 6138 . Drop your order form and check off at the Parish Office or drop in the collection baskets. • Order deadline is Friday October 6th. Kit distribution will occur mid November • Questions: • Greg Bendel ph 317-893-6547 Knights of Columbus Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
See the order form attached here.
• Roncalli Shadow Days are Filling Up! Roncalli is excited to welcome future Royals to campus for the Royal for a Day Program! All shadows will be on an individual basis, with 10 students being able to join us each day. All visits will be on a first-come, first-serve basis. All September dates are full, and October 31 is the last day in October with availability.
If you are interested in getting your 8th grader signed up, please email Allie Ross at email@example.com for all available dates. Go, Royals!
• Roncalli High School Placement Test Information – We are quickly approaching this year’s High School Placement test on Saturday, November 4…details for the day are below!
- Pre-registration (https://permission.click/aLpa5/int/signee-info) Deadline is Wednesday, November 1…WALK-INS WELCOME!
- Contact Michelle Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, October 17 if your student needs accommodations.
- Drop off: Curbside dropoff at main entrance door 1. Doors open at 7:30 AM.
- Bring: 2 sharpened No. 2 pencils; calculators are not allowed.
- Contact Jane Dias with questions at email@example.com.
- Parent information session from 10-11:15 AM–English in the auditorium, Spanish in room 119 and Burmese in room 132. All parents can enter through Door 5.
School: 881-1300::::Fax: 885-5005::::Website: school.ol-g.org. To submit an item for the Eagle Flyer, e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. All items must be approved by the principal.